Bannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur StartseiteBannerbild | zur Startseite
Teilen auf Facebook   send link   open print view

Welcome in Bengel

150 m, 808 residents, 2,747 ha.


At the end of the "Wittlicher Senke", sprawling on both sides of the Alfbach between the Moselle hills in the south and the Eifel Mountains in the north, is the holiday resort of Bengel, with its local centres Springiersbach and Neidhof.


OT Bengel


Bengel has its own train stop on the outskirts of the town.


Just a few minutes from Bengel, at the edge of the Kondelwald, is the Springiersbach Carmelite monastery.


Springiersbach Monastery, an historic "treasure" of Bengel, was founded in 1102 by the Augustinians. It has been a Carmelite convent since 1922. The rococo church is famous well beyond the district borders as a venue for classical music concerts.


A well signposted network of cycling and hiking trails is ideal for engaging in open-air sporting activities.


Spectacular hiking tracks through the rich flora and fauna of the neighbouring Kondelwald (2,500 ha) are perfect for long, relaxing hikes, e.g. to the state health resort of Bad Bertrich and the winegrowing towns along the Moselle, such as Kinheim, Kröv and Reil.


An extensive network of cycling tracks leads through the Alftal Valley to the district town of Wittlich 15 km away.


From here, visitors can take the special cyclists’ bus (Radlerbus) to Daun/Eifel and then ride back to the Alftal Valley along the famous Maare-Moselradweg track, created on an abandoned railway line. Information on the route and bus departure times can be found [here]


Just 6 km away is the winegrowing and Moselle town of Reil, whose many traditional seasonal wine stores and wide range of dining options are the perfect places to stop for a bite to eat.


From Reil, a signposted cycling track heads along the Moselle, far from any traffic, to the next historic town of Zell.


Making a detour through the Marienburg vineyards and the 18-m-high "Prinzenkopf" viewing tower, from where you can see the Moselle four times, will leave you with many lasting memories.

F ishing enthusiasts can try their luck at the local Springiersbach fire water pond.


Anglers can really take time out from everyday life and simply unwind at the Müllenweiher, a tranquil oasis in the middle of the Kröv forest.


Fishing licences can be obtained from the ED service station in Bengel.


Fishing licences for the Moselle can be obtained in Reil, Kinheim and Kröv.


Fish species found in the Moselle are: eel, barbel, perch, bream, chub, trout, pike, carp, nase, tench, catfish and pike-perch.


So all that’s left to say is: Happy fishing!


On the idyllic banks of the Alf River, in Springiersbach in the municipality of Bengel, visitors will be able to admire the historic mills of Springiersbach, an oil mill, and a flour mill.


History of Bengel

Herzlich Willkommen


Bengel was part of the "Cröver Reich" until the end of the 18th century.


The occupation of the Rhine’s left bank by French revolutionary troops saw the town of Bengel come under French rule in 1794, forming part of the Sarre department from 1798 to 1814.


Springiersbach Monastery and church were secularised in 1802.


In order to save the Springiersbach church (built in 1769) from demolition, the Bishop of Trier, Charles Mannay, raised it to the status of Bengel parish church.


Following the decisions made at the Congress of Vienna, the Rhineland, and therefore the town of Bengel, were assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815.


Under Prussian administration, the Trier government district was allocated to the Lower Rhine province, and the district of Wittlich was formed in 1816.


Bengel became the headquarters of a mayor’s office, which also governed the municipalities of Hontheim, Kinderbeuern and Reil.


The municipality of Bengel has been part of Rhineland-Palatinate since this state’s establishment in 1946.


 Culture and attractions

  • Moselstraße 14: Roadside cross, high cross with late baroque design, red sandstone

  • Trierer Straße 2: Catholic parish church of St Quirinus, neo-late Gothic hall church, 1901/1902

  • Zum Wiesental 22: Roadside cross, high cross, around 1700

  • Springiersbach Monastery
    Springiersbach Monastery, founded as an Augustinian monastery in 1102, is situated in the local centre of Springiersbach, and has been a Carmelite convent since 1922. It is home to ceiling paintings and unique carvings. The monastery fell victim to a fire in 1940, but has today been reconstructed and restored.

  • BengelSpringiersbach mills
    The Springiersbach oil mill is one of the few preserved oil mills in Rhineland-Palatinate. It is one of originally five mills found in the lower Alfbachtal Valley between Bengel and Höllenthal. The oil mill was built in 1856, and was part of the Springiersbach Monastery mills built in 1731 under the 30th Abbot of the Augustinian Canons. Hydro power was later used to operate a circular saw, in order to make the mill less dependent on seasons through the sale of firewood, since the raw material was only ever available in winter. By 1962, beechnuts, walnuts, grape seeds and particularly rapeseed were all ground here. The municipality of Bengel purchased the oil mill in 1989, and began intensively restoring it in 1994. 2002 saw oil pressed again for the first time in 40 years. Built in the late 19th century, the flour mill was purchased by the municipality of Bengel in 2010, and restoration of the four original milling stations is well underway.


Accommodation and gastronomy in Bengel

City Map